• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PepperDaddler's 2013 Glog (UPDATE 9/28/13)

Hello all.

Guess it might be a little late to start growing this year but dammit I'm gonna try. It is Florida after all. I don't have pictures from the very beginning and I only have an old phone to get pictures so bear with me, and sorry if I'm doing it wrong. 

This is my grow list for this year.

From seed:

7 Pot Brain Strain
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion x 7 Pot
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scorpion
Dorset Naga
7 Pot Primo
Butch T Scorpion
Florida Grove Pepper
Black Pearl
Yellow Moruga
Red Habanero
Orange Habanero
Jalapeno M
Sweet Datil
Hot Datil
Corno Di Toro

"Cheaters" from the flea market:

Red Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Dorset Naga
Red Savina Habanero

Non Peppers:

Chocolate Mint
Patio Tomato
Beefsteak Tomato
Basil
Garlic
Dill
Green Onion
Watermelon

I think some of the neighborhood kids got into my labels, so I will have a few plants that will have to be mysteries until they pod up. All have sprouted so far and I may have to do an edit later on to properly ID them, but I will, I promise.

Here is a couple of pics to get this thing started. The colors are dull because that is how the phone camera is.

Various sprouts, will give them better pics and actually name them later:

Datil OWs (Frost got em):

Black Pearl just got from the neighbor not looking too hot:

I cheated this year because it is late and I'm ready for pods. Got 3 plants from the flea market today, its my second year so I can get away with it still :D :

Red Trinidad Moruga Scorpion:

Bump please.

Forgot to mention how I am growing them. No fancy tricks, just a mixture I threw together of MG potting mix, MG moisture control, compost, perlite, osmocote, and soil from last years failures and the ones that just didn't make it. Everything will just get some MG fert unless I get ambitious enough to attempt a tea or anything. I probably will attempt some "more experienced" things later on. Right now I am just hoping all goes well and they get bigger.

Anyway, Dorset Naga:

Red Savina Hab:

This thing makes HUGE pods:

Well that's it for today. There is lots more to show but I will get to that later. I need to drink that Nattie that somehow snuck its way into a few pics...

All three were $10.

Just got back from a local nursery and will have to update my grow list once again.

Adding on Sweet Datil and a Hot x Sweet datil cross.

Well I posted this elsewhere but it should probably be in the glog too.

First big (for me) harvest.

Scorps:

Red Savina Habs:

Sweet Datils:

Hot Datils:

Sweet Datil x Hot Datil:

Bonus Shot-- St. Aug. Sunrise:

Thanks for viewing.
 I will be repotting a bunch of plants and maybe constructing a shade house soon. I will update this when I can.

PepperDaddler said:
Hello all.

Guess it might be a little late to start growing this year but dammit I'm gonna try. It is Florida after all. I don't have pictures from the very beginning and I only have an old phone to get pictures so bear with me, and sorry if I'm doing it wrong. 

This is my grow list for this year.

From seed:

7 Pot Brain Strain
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion x 7 Pot
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Red Trinidad Scorpion
Dorset Naga
7 Pot Primo
Butch T Scorpion

Fatalii
Florida Grove Pepper
Black Pearl
Yellow Moruga
Red Habanero
Orange Habanero

Jalapeno M
Sweet Datil
Hot Datil
Corno Di Toro

"Cheaters" from the flea market:

Red Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Bhut Jolokia Red
Red Habanero

Non Peppers:

Chocolate Mint
Patio Tomato
Beefsteak Tomato
Basil
Garlic

Dill
Green Onion
Watermelon

Hey, we're growing a lot of the same stuff.  If your luck with Bhuts and Dorsets is as good as mine, those should produce real well for you.  We'll have to trade for some stuff later.  Excellent start to the season!  Really nice haul!

It's not too late to get the grow going especially with the Florida sun. You got a great start with the seedlings. Nice score with the larger plants, I'd pot those plants up to containers twice the size before the next flower clusters appear.....or simply plant them in the ground.

Looks like you are doing pretty good, I wish there was a place that sold something other than cayenne, jalapeños and Serrano's, thank god I can drive over to Baker's Creek and buy some ghost pepper seeds they also have a few hard to find peppers along with about a thousand other vegetable varieties.   
Your selection of peppers are pretty good,  I think if I could buy full grown plants,  it would save me a lot of time and Headaches from having to buy lights and soil, pots and all the other good stuff that goes with starting plants from seeds..
Well good luck with your grow I hope that the summer doesn't burn your plants up, the weather has been really crazy this year.

I am back to UPDATE.

Finally.

Have had some problems with the computer and a shitty old phone. Put those two together and updating definitely did not make it to the top of my "to-do list".

Finished the shadehouse. Not much to look at when compared to my original ideas but the plants dig it:

Happy plants.

On to the plants. I held out the labels to make remembering them in this update easier. It may look like there are some doubles, but they are separate plants. The phone pics do them no justice on size or color, but it is all I have. They are much  bigger and definitely greener than they look in the pictures:

???Mystery pepper???:

And a bump please.

The leaves tend to do this on datils. That is just the way they grow. I call it big datil because the mother produced big pods:

Mixture of peps from last year (OW) I think that is a Corno Di Toro, also Jap and probably a mystery sweet with no pods yet:

Yes I know, Aphids. All the plants were sprayed with organcide right after these pics:

Huge leaves:

Bump Please.

These are labeled as mix. All of these ones you see that have "mix" on them are because I got the seeds that way. Could be a cross, could be a mixture of seeds in the bag. I wont know till later:

Monster Hot Datil Plant:

Sweet x Hot Datil (Cross):

Healthy plants and they will appreciate the shade cloth. Those are huge leaves on the Naga, my Datil plants also have cupped leaves. I wish I had a "Datil Tree" like the one you have growing !

Back